Environmental, Health & Safety Specialist
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Manage Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) programs to ensure we are providing a safe and incident-free work culture. Plan and/or deliver programs to train leadership and employees in work site safety and environmental practices. Promote facility safety, environmental responsibility and sustainability stewardship by working with all departments to analyze current situation and recommend improvements. Analyze data to identify trends and incident types that can be prevented.
Primary activities include but not limited to:
- Manages all aspects of environment, health and safety programs (95% safety and 5% environmental)
- Provides leadership and oversight of Process Safety Management and Risk Management Program for ammonia operations
- Promotes an incident-free work environment by building sound safety processes, develops and implements programs, trains bakers, and monitors programs to ensure a safe and compliant workplace
- Ensure timely incident/near miss reporting, timely incident investigations, timely interim and final corrective actions, updating into the ERP, and maintaining the OSHA logs.
- Maintain and improve the Safety Committee by training the team and acting as a resource for the group
- Coordinate the Safety Steering Team
- Administers Workers Compensation program in correspondence with Work Comp provider.
- Guides and directs plant toward compliance of State, Federal and local Safety and Environmental regulations including meeting all reporting requirements (Tier II and TRI)
- Maintains the training matrix and annual training plan
- Maintain and implement the 4 year safety strategy, the 4 year plan, the 1 year plan and all 30 day plans
- Participates in layered audits and continuous improvement activities and walks
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year university in Industrial Hygiene, Safety Management, Environmental Science/Engineering required
- Five to ten years industrial safety experience and a CSP certification preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building and leading teams
- Thorough understanding of OSHA, EPA and DOT regulations
- Experience performing risk assessments and audits
- Prior experience with Process Safety management associated with ammonia refrigeration
- OSHA 501 trainer preferred
- Experience with Behavior Based Safety programs that use the ABCs of behavior change.
The employee will follow all food safety policies and requirement:
- Will follow established programs, policies and practices to produce safe quality foods that meet regulatory and company requirements.
- Will support the development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement of the Specialty Food Safety and Quality Systems.
- Will be accountable to the Specialty Food Manufacturing Food Safety and Quality Principles.