Smart Grid Sr. System Engineer I - Strategic Operations (7215)
Location: White Plains, NY
Name: New York Power Authority
Strategic Operations is facilitating the Infrastructure Modernization set of Strategic Initiatives - Smart Generation and Transmission (SG&T) and Asset Management (AM). These initiatives form part of NYPA's Strategic Vision and are aimed at providing both NYPA and New York State with the most advanced electricity grid in the industry and ensuring that the most modern industry solutions and technologies are leveraged to deliver capability in key areas. Ultimately, the Infrastructure Modernization initiatives will pave the way towards achieving increased benefits to customers through improved reliability and resiliency in grid operation, enhanced situational awareness, optimization of generation and transmission assets resulting in increased system efficiency and reduced overall electrical losses, integration of clean, renewable energy resources, implementation of management of enterprise-wide assets, alignment to cutting edge standards of asset maintenance and replacement, near-real-time access to information and predictive analysis, and improved outage management.
The Smart Grid System Engineer monitors and supports the engineering, design, procurement, and implementation phases of new and ongoing smart grid projects across all NYPA facilities. Such projects aim at embedding in NYPA's infrastructure and operations innovative technologies that have reached a level of maturity that allows them to be deployed in a production-grade environment. The Smart Grid System Engineer is involved in and contributes at all levels on a daily basis during design, engineering and construction to ensure cost and project scopes are under control. They are responsible for and oversee the work performed by consultants and outside vendors. Additionally, this role provides construction staff with advice, documentation, and approved field changes.
- Lead the identification and development of new smart grid projects that align with NYPA's core business based on individual knowledge/expertise and by conducting/facilitating workshops that promote collaboration and innovation.
- Assemble teams and take initial lead during in-house design and engineering of smart grid technologies and capabilities that are aligned to the Smart G&T initiative.
- Work with NYPA's Information Technology and Operations Technology groups in the development and maintenance of a template smart station architecture and data model to adopt technologies and capabilities aligned to the Smart G&T initiative.
- Support pilot efforts of the smart station architecture as well as eventual NYPA-wide rollout.
- Develop and execute any integration plans for Smart G&T add-ons into existing Life Extension & Modernization (LEM) programs.
- Oversee outside consultants and vendors for the delivery of pilot and full-scale implementation of smart grid projects for NYPA.
- Evaluate technical proposals and electrical equipment functional designs, perform failure evaluations, and provide both planned and emergent on-site support to NYPA facilities throughout New York State.
- Conduct facility visits to support design reviews and testing, as well as coordination with vendors during the manufacturing and installation process.
- Review work produced by other engineering personnel (both NYPA and contracted), including designs and specifications.
- Provide direction to and review of the electrical design and drafting personnel in development of any smart grid project drawings.
- Oversee the development of equipment specifications and design packages and provide technical oversight for all new smart station devices, in accordance with applicable industry standards.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines and departments for the successful development and execution of the project
- Provide ongoing support to NYPA facilities post piloting and NYPA-wide rollout efforts.
- Facilitate training with vendors to get other station and site engineers ready to utilize new station components.
- Apply recognized subject matter expertise to areas of equipment engineering and analysis.
- Apply recognized subject matter expertise to the interpretation of industry standards and technical compliance issues.
- Provide guidance to more junior engineers.
- Demonstrated expertise in the analysis, design and integration of power system components on projects related to smart station technologies and capabilities.
- Strong understanding of power system theory and engineering including power system analysis, operation, and control.
- Excellent knowledge of related data outcomes and smart transmission power systems.
- Strong background in SCADA systems, Protection & Control, Communication systems and innovative smart grid concepts/technologies.
- Experience working in electric utility IT / OT environments and ability to bring teams together.
- Expertise regarding power apparatus equipment such as transmission lines, power transformers, power switchgear, current and potential transformers, grounding equipment and systems, and underground and overhead cable systems.
- Working knowledge of applicable industry codes and standards such as ANSI, IEEE, IEC, NFPA, and NEC is required.
- Experience with smart station equipment or emergent station technologies related to data acquisition, monitoring, and controls (e.g. phasor measurement units, sensors, asset health monitoring systems, etc.)
- Ability to apply diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices, coupled with the understanding of the NYPA's policies, operations, and objectives, to solve all but the most complex engineering problems, and make technical recommendations on design methods and obstacles on a project as well as programmatic level.
- Ability to develop complete, accurate and detailed modification packages, specifications, drawings and other engineered construction documents.
- Knowledge of computer-based engineering analysis programs.
- Demonstrated performance on multi-discipline team projects.
- Ability to produce clear, concise, complete and articulate reports which explain recommendations.
- Substantial knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office applications (emphasis on Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio, and Project).
- Proven strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work closely with a team to accomplish a common objective. Ability to independently lead a major work stream while coordinating with other team members to identify inter-work stream dependencies and risks, and develop and carry out mitigation steps.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and engagement in continuous learning.
- Excellent planning, organization and presentation skills in order to communicate to all audience levels.
- Demonstrated stakeholder management and an ability to communicate solutions to multiple independent stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of state and federal regulations as well as industry codes and standards.
- Proven success in the management of technical and administrative aspects of fast-paced and emergent projects.
- Ability to work independently to identify creative solutions and promote innovative thinking.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment to foster communication and teamwork to deliver project objectives.
- Approximately 25% travel primarily within NY State.
- Ability to travel to vendor facilities (worldwide) to support construction activities and to inspect equipment fabrication and commissioning for length of time needed.
- Ability to travel to NYPA Facilities throughout NY State to support construction and scoping activities.
- Valid NYS Driver's License.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from a school accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) or equivalent, preferably in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Master of Science Degree in Engineering (preferably Electrical and Computer) from a school accredited by the ABET or equivalent, strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of engineering experience.
- Minimum of 7 years in managing projects.
- New York State PE License.
- Project Management Professional certification preferred.
- Working knowledge of electric utility practices.