Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer - HEV
Location: Dearborn, MI, MI
Name: Continental AG
With sales of €34.5 billion in 2014, Continental is among the leading automotive suppliers worldwide and currently has approximately 200,000 employees in 53 countries. The Powertrain Division integrates innovative and efficient system solutions for vehicle powertrains. The comprehensive range of products includes gasoline and diesel injection systems, engine management, transmission control, including sensors and actuators, as well as fuel-supply systems and components and systems for hybrid and electric drives.
This position is located in Dearborn, MI, and is for the development of 48V hybrid and electric vehicle power electronic components and motors. Position reports directly to Mechanical Engineering department and indirectly into the development project.
- Function as the Mechanical Design responsible for assigned development/customer projects.
- Responsible for working on a multifunctional team to design and develop electronic housings, covers, lead frames, printed circuit boards, cooling systems, connectors and sealing methodology to meet the customer functional, timing and project quoted cost targets.
- Coordinate with the Mechanical Technical Project Leader to ensure all internal and customer requirements are met.
- Responsible for the typical activities in development, such as: requirements management, concept development, DFMEAs, tolerance analysis, engineering evaluation testing, CAD Design, supplier interface design consideration, and product validation support.
- The engineer will also be responsible to utilize packaging platform strategies which consider reuse and design for manufacturing/assembly
- Support Continental Development milestones
- Support customer program development team
- Support customer presentations, interfacing with OEMs on technical topics.
- Support quotation process with technical knowledge of designs to meet specifications and requirements (critical requirements analysis, create project specific system/product architecture)
- Experience in power electronics and motor development and commercialization.
- Solid modeling and creation of 2D drawings and specifications using CAD tools (Pro/E or Catia preferred) for Power Electronics & Motor Systems
- Experience in design and development of following components: Castings (to NADCA guidelines), Bus bars, printed circuit boards, plastic components, Sheet metal design (precision metal forming standards), Wire harnesses and connection systems, Gearbox, differentials, and associated components, Electric motors, bearings, and associated components
- Thermal, vibration, stress, and tolerance analysis using CAD tools (Ansys/IcePak preferred) on mechanical package designs to determine the theoretical capability of the package, and to optimize the mechanical package to reduce cost or design complexity.
- Environmental protection knowledge including sealability for automotive electronics
- Minimum of 5-7+ years of automotive electronics product development experience.
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering or technical equivalent
- Good written, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Design for Manufacturability, Design for Assembly knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of industry standards, including ASME, GM, Ford and Chrysler CAD standards
- Knowledge of Hybrid and electronic powertrains including high voltage design awareness
- Ability to assemble presentations for design reviews and product quotations
- Knowledge of Microsoft office applications and Lotus Notes
Let your ideas shape the future. Take the first step and fill in the online application.
Minimum of 5-7+ years of automotive electronics product development experience.
Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering or technical equivalent
Good written, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
Design for Manufacturability, Design for Assembly knowledge and experience
Knowledge of industry standards, including ASME, GM, Ford and Chrysler CAD standards
Knowledge of Hybrid and electronic powertrains including high voltage design awareness
Ability to assemble presentations for design reviews and product quotations
Knowledge of Microsoft office applications and Lotus Notes